On 1 September 2018 the Building Services (Registration) Regulations 2011 (WA) came into effect, removing the Building Services Board examinations as a qualification pathway for painting practitioner registration.
Applicants intending to apply under the former sets 2 and 4 were required to submit applications for registration on or before 31 August 2018. Set 3 is now known as set 2.
New registrations (first time)
In Western Australia, registering as a painting practitioner permits you to:
- be a 'nominated supervisor' for a registered painting contractor;
- use the title 'registered painting practitioner'; and
- be employed by or subcontract to a registered painting contractor person or company.
If you are an individual who wishes to contract directly with others to provide painting work valued at $1,000 or more, you must be registered as painting practitioner and a painting contractor (individual). Registering as a painting practitioner does not authorise a person to provide services as a painting contractor.
When considering an application for registration as a painting practitioner the Board considers among other factors, the applicant’s qualifications, experience and fitness to be registered.
How do I apply?
To apply for registration as a painting practitioner you must complete an application form from one of the sets below. Choose the set with the requirements that best match your qualifications and experience.
When you have completed the application form submit it to Licensing Services with supporting documentation and applicable fees.
Time frame for application processing
Most painting practitioner applications are determined within six weeks. Please assist by submitting all the information required in your application and allow sufficient time for it to be fully assessed.
Sets and application forms
To apply under set 1, you must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Certificate III in Painting and Decorating and two units offered as part of the Course in Painter's Registration in small business management and estimating and specification; or
- an equivalent qualification as determined by the Board.
- Completed an apprenticeship in painting; or
- at least the equivalent of four years of full-time experience in carrying out painting work.
Set 1 – Painting practitioner registration application form (Form 17)
To apply under set 2, you must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Completed the course in Painters' Registration, or an equivalent qualification.
- Confirmation of a completed practical trades test.
- Five years of experience in carrying out painting work.
Set 2 – Painting practitioner registration application form (Form 19)
Qualifications and experience
To apply for registration as a painting practitioner you must be able to document that you have the required qualifications and experience. For more information see 'Documenting your experience and qualifications'.
Still unsure which set to use?
If you are unsure which set to apply under or any of the above information, contact the Licensing Services on 1300 489 099 or email email@example.com.
If you are registered or licensed as a painting practitioner elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand, and want to be registered as a painting practitioner with the Building Services Board in Western Australia, you can find out more information about having your qualifications recognised in WA.